DOE Seeks Comments on Proposed Rule to Revise Various Processes for Energy Efficiency and Test Procedures
On April 12, 2021, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) issued a proposed rule that would revise processes and procedures the agency follows in developing energy conservation standards and test procedures for consumer products and commercial and industrial equipment. Chief among these revisions are the following:
(1) Restore discretion to depart from the Process Rule’s general guidance
(2) Remove thresholds for determining when a significant energy criterion has been met
(3) Remove the requirement to conduct a comparative analysis in addition to an economic justification
(4) Revert specific test procedure rulemaking processes
(5) Revert to prior practice on direct final rules
DOE plans to hold a webinar on the proposed rule on Friday, April 23, 2021 from 10:00 am- 3:00 p.m. Individuals may register for the webinar and request to speak during the webinar by emailing: ApplianceStandardsQuestions@ee.doe.gov.
Written comments are due by May 27, 2021.