NCUA Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Supplemental Capital
National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)
Advance notice of proposed rulemaking
On February 8, 2017, the NCUA Board (Board) issued an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPR) to solicit comments on alternative forms of capital federally insured credit unions could use in meeting capital standards required by statute and regulation. For purposes of the ANPR, alternative capital includes two different categories: secondary capital and supplemental capital. Secondary capital is currently permissible under the Federal Credit Union Act only for low-income designated credit unions to issue and to be counted toward both the net worth ratio and the risk-based net worth requirement of NCUA’s prompt corrective action standards. The Board is considering changes to the secondary capital regulation for low-income designated credit unions. There are no other forms of alternative capital currently authorized. However, the Board is also considering whether or not to authorize credit unions to issue supplemental capital instruments that would only count towards the risk-based net worth requirement.
Comments must be received on or before May 9, 2017.
You may submit comments by any one of the following methods (Please send comments by one method only):
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Email: Address to firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail). Include “[Your name]—Comments on Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Supplemental Capital” in the email subject line.
- Fax: (703) 518-6319. Use the subject line described above for email.
- Mail: Address to Gerald Poliquin, Secretary of the Board, National Credit Union Administration, 1775 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314-3428.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Same as mail address.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Assistant Chief Counsel Jennifer A. Smith(link sends e-mail) (202.205.6943).