NOAA Proposes Rules Requiring Shrimp Boats to use Turtle Excluder Devices
On May 10, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration proposed rules to withdraw the alternative tow time restriction and require all skimmer trawls, pusher-head trawls, and wing nets (butterfly trawls) rigged for fishing to use turtle excluder devices (TEDs) in their nets. The intent of this proposed rule is to reduce incidental bycatch and mortality of sea turtles in the southeastern U.S. shrimp fisheries, and to aid in the protection and recovery of listed sea turtle populations. Public hearings on the proposed rule will be held in May and June 2012. See the Federal Register notice below for meeting dates, times, and locations.
Comments are due by July 9, 2012.
- Notice of Proposed Rule from the Federal Register
- You may submit comments on this proposed rule, identified by 0648-BC10, by any of the following methods:
- Electronic Submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov.
- Mail: Michael Barnette, Southeast Regional Office, NMFS, 263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701.
- Fax: 727-824-5309; Attention: Michael Barnette.
- Advocacy contact: Jamie Belcore.