How to Train Future Entrepreneurs

The Office of Advocacy released a new publication, Toward Effective Education of Innovative Entrepreneurs in Small Business  by Summit Consulting, during a panel at the Berkley Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at New York University. Participants in the conference included (from left) Matthew Mayhew, assistant professor of higher education, NYU; Jeffrey Simonoff, professor of statistics, NYU; Advocacy’s Chief Economist Chad Moutray; Amy Deora of Summit Consulting; Robert Strom, director of entrepreneurship research, Kauffman Foundation; and William Baumol, professor of economics, NYU.

GroupShotEntrepreneurship
7 Comments
  1. Tom Harvey says

An interesting paper.
    As we all know in these times its very important to encourage entrepreneurship to stimulate the economy, yet quite often adequate training and assistance is not provided.

Whilst it is indeed difficult to evidence anything more than a correlation between educational courses undertaken and participation in entrepreneurial activity it is reasonable to assume the two are linked.

However what is definately true is that entrepreneurial training does produce desirable traits in individuals which can only be a good thing.

2. Jonathan Burke says

I feel that training and building up entrepreneurs is one of the best ways to get this nation back on track.

3. Pittsburgh Patent Lawyer says

It will be interesting to see if new tv shows such as “Shark Tank” will encourage entrepreneurs.

4. Social Media San Diego says

This is a great publication! Thank you for posting it for all of us to read… I agree with the study that family history in entrepreneurship strongly increases likely hood of one becoming or being an entrepreneur.

5. website design says

I agree that it would have probably been easier for me to become an entrepreneur if my father had been an entrepreneur. I would have learned by example and seen the lifestyle first hand.
    Having said that I turned out to be a pretty fair entrepreneur anyway. It can be done.

6. Caz Taylor says

Kudos to your for your inspiration and encouragement to small business people. The entrepreneur is alive, but somewhat underground these days. http://www.bizvidcommunications.com partners with http://www.wsradio.com in producing SBA Radio, a small business advisory broadcast, with guest expert SBA District Director, Ruben Garcia. Live on Thursdays (from 2 pm to 3 pm EST), we provide vital information to encourage small business success and the bolstering of the entrepreneurial spirit. Keep up your work on behaf of small businesses, as well. Sincerely, Caz Taylor, SBA Radio Producer

7. Andrew Lock says

I applaud the document, but unfortunately most initiatives to help entrepreneurs are produced by individuals who aren’t entrepreneurs and don’t understand them! Obviously this is counter productive, and somewhat ironic.

I’m trying to do my part to educate entrepreneurs via a free weekly web tv show that’s presented in plain english.

Andrew Lock